- A Chalkboard
- A Small Bowl
- A Round Sponge
- A Cloth
Invite a child to come by telling them you have something to show them. Have the child bring the appropriate tray and have them place it vertically on the far right side of the table. Then go get a chalkboard to be cleaned. Place the chalkboard in the center of the table. Tell the child that you will be showing him how to clean a chalkboard.
Pick up the bowl with both hands and place it just above the top left corner of the chalkboard.
- Using your right hand, take the sponge out of the bowl and place it to the right of the bowl.
- Take the cloth with both hands and place it to the right of the sponge.
- Pick up the bowl with both hands and fill it with just a few drops of water.
- Come back to the table and set the bowl down where it was, above the chalkboard.
- Pick up the sponge with your right hand and place it into the bowl.
- Using both hands, squeeze out the excess water from the sponge into the bowl.
- Remove your left hand from the sponge.
- Place the sponge on the top left corner of the chalkboard.
- Position your right fingers on the top of the sponge and by placing your right thumb on the side of the sponge on the part closest to your body.
- In a slow, continuous manner, wipe the chalkboard with the sponge from top to bottom.
- Repeat this movement for the whole chalkboard, working your way from top to bottom, left to right.
- Once the whole chalkboard has been wiped, slide your sponge horizontally from the bottom left corner to the bottom right corner.
- Replace the sponge into the bowl.
- Pick up the cloth with both hands and place it to the left of the chalkboard, near the child.
- Show the child how to place your hand into the folded cloth by lifting the top flap and placing your four right fingers under it.
- To hold the cloth in place, position your right thumb under the cloth firmly.
- Wipe the chalkboard dry by using the same movements as with the sponge.
- Dry the whole chalkboard from top to bottom, left to right.
- Then dry the bottom by wiping from the bottom left corner to the bottom right corner.
- Replace the cloth in its spot above the chalkboard.
- Stand up.
- Tuck in your chair and have the child tuck in his.
- Pick up the bowl with both hands and bring it over to the sink.
- Place bowl down and remove the sponge from the bowl.
- Place the sponge off to the side.
- Pick up the bowl and empty it. (Rinse it if necessary)
- Rinse out the sponge and replace it into the bowl.
- Carry the bowl back to the table with both hands.
- Place the bowl back above the chalkboard.
- Pick up the cloth and hang it up to dry or place it in the laundry bin if it is dirty.
- Show the child where he can find a clean cloth and replace the wet cloth with a dry cloth.
- Place the dry cloth above the chalkboard and to the right of the bowl.
- Pick up the bowl with both hands and place it at the top of the tray.
- Pick up the cloth and place it below the bowl on the tray.
- Using both hands, flip the chalkboard over.
- Invite the child to clean the other side of the chalkboard.
- Tell the child that when he is done, he can replace the chalkboard back in the chalkboard place and the tray back onto the shelves.
Care of the Environment: the child becomes aware of the accumulation of chalk o the boards and is helped to clean independently.
Seeing the wet streak from the sponge as the chalkboard is being cleaned.
Coordination and carefulness in movements.
3 - 4 years
Share your experiences in the