- As for addition
- Invite three children to come and work with you.
- Have them set up the materials as for addition.
- Have each child take the same number with the cards, but do not tell them so. For example: 1223
- The presentation is exactly the same as in addition. Do not tell the children they have the same numbers until the end.
- Once you have found the total number of beads, collect each child’s small cards and place them as you had done in addition.
- Have the children notice that they had the same amount of beads.
- Tell them that in this case we only need one of the cards (give the two other children back their small cards) and because they each had the same amount of beads and there are 3 children (count them to show this), we can show this with a special 3 card.
- Place this special card to the right of the small card and the large number cards to the right of that.
- Say, “When we take 1223 three times, it equals 3669.
- “And you have just done multiplication!”
- Repeat a few times with the child.
Same as with Dynamic Addition.
To give the impression of the nature of multiplication, that it is an addition in which the quantities added are not different, as in addition, but in fact are all alike.
Initially the Directress, later the child’s own understanding.
4 – 5 years
Share your experiences in the