- Two boards each divided into five compartments. In nine of these compartments a large 10 is printed in black.
- A set of cards, on which are printed the figures 1 – 9, which will slide into the boards, covering the ‘0’.
- Have the child unroll a long mat.
- Show the child the material and have him bring over the material. Sit at the mat so it is vertically in front of you.
- Place the two boards in a vertical line at the top of the mat.
- Place all of the cards, in random order, to the right of the board.
- Point to the first slot and ask what it is. (10)
- Point to each until the child realizes that each has 10.
- Slide the 1 card into the units spot in the top slot. Say, “This is eleven.”
- Slide in the 2 card into the second slot and tell the child, “This is twelve.”
- Repeat to create 13 under 12.
- Do a Three Period Lesson for 11, 12, 13. For the 2nd Period, take out the cards and have the child “create” 11, 12, 13.
- Repeat, three numbers at a time until you have done 11-19.
- Have the child make the numbers 11-19 in random order directed by the directress.
- Have the child take out the cards and have him create 11-19 in order.
- Once the child is done, count all the numbers in order, and then backwards.
To connect name and symbol.
The child’s own knowledge.
4 1/2 years onwards
Share your experiences in the